Sunday, July 25, 2010


This is Emmy. To be precise, Bergie's Emmy Winner. Yes, she is registered. She is also 15 years old. Exactly 1 year younger than Oscar. Emmy follows us everywhere we go. Being blind, she stays close to our feet. Of course, that means we trip over her a lot. She follows us to the computer room, and lays on the floor behind me, so I have to make sure I don't step on her when I leave. She sleeps quite a bit. She snores. She sneezes and wheezes. But we love her.
She has always been consistent with her manner. Food first, anything else is second. Being blind and deaf and mostly toothless, if a hand touches her, the first thing she does is check for food by mouthing the hand. She is so set in this habit, that if I reach down to pick her up, no matter where we are at, she backs up so as to not miss the possible food. This has caused her to fall off the porch a couple times before I figured out a way to pick her up. I ambush her. I reach down with both hands out far enough and from above, that she can't see them coming and like a clamshell, I grab with both hands around her middle and hang on. She jumps cuz it startles her, but I cannot get her to hold still otherwise. I have to do this to help her up onto the chair to sit with me. Even being blind, she has figured how to get up in Richard's chair. He puts the foot rest of the recliner out at an angle and she climbs up between his feet, he puts the chair up the rest of the way, and she curls up between is feet. He has taught her this way because we are back to not being able to pick her up like a normal dog. Despite being blind and deaf and toothless, she is the healthiest dog of 15. She was Oscar's little sister. They were born from the same parents, just one year and one litter apart. Little Man and Minnie were the same, with Emmy as the mother and a black and tan (like Lucy) for a dad. His name was Taz. He was a cool dog, but entirely stupid and ignorant when Emmy was in heat.
Emmy and Minnie were just put to bed, as Rich has had enough of dogs sitting on him. It was too hot to go outside for long, so we vegetated in the house all day, watched the race and took a nap. All with dogs sitting on us. Lucy sleeps with us, the other two have the utility room and can go outside when they need to at night.
My turn to go to bed. Catch you all on the flip side.
CB

No comments: