Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Story about my "Trip"

Daughter Lisa called last night. Seems Mom fell after getting out of the car and cut her hand and landed on her knees. Not too big a deal unless you know she has two knee replacements (one for each side) and is on a blood thinner for heart trouble. Dad can't help her up cause he had surgery on his hand, and goes looking for Lisa. This could be disastrous, as Dad likes to trip on a blade of grass. Lisa was asleep and had to get moving quickly to help. Lisa never moves quickly after getting woke up. She needs time to vegetate. Some relation to Richard. She gets Mom up and in the house, and calls me. Mom's hand bleeds, the knees turn black and blue and everything is swollen. So I call Mom and she comes clean about the falling. Richard asked her how high she bounced and if there was a dent in the ground where she landed. (My mother is not a small woman) We make arrangements for me to meet them at the pulmonalogist (?) office this morning. When I see her ouchies, it makes me cringe. I remind her that the blood thinner could cause her some problems, and to please call her primary care when they get home. Well, here is where the fun started. Her appt. was for 9:30, saw dr. at 10:30, got out after visit and recommendations at 11:30, went for chest x-ray at 11:45, and got to go eat after 1:15, the x-ray itself only took about 1 minute. Everywhere it was hurry up and wait. So, we decided to go to IHOP just down the road from St. Al's. Mom and Dad get inside, I finish a phone call to Rich, head in, and damned if I don't trip on thin air and fall in the parking lot. Skinned up my left elbow, left knee (my good one) and both hands. Luckily I didn't hit the curb with my face or head, just my shoulder, and skinned my cell phone. This was witnessed by an older couple who heard me turn the air blue. He left and she offered to help me up. I didn't bounce either or dent the concrete. Thank you West Nile. So Mom turns the tables on me about falling. I told her I really had no intention of literally following in her footsteps. I go clean up and we have lunch. On the way home, I am telling Rich what happened as I am driving. He asked if I could drive okay, then asked if I was sitting down and had my seat belt on so I wouldn't fall out of the seat. HA HA HA. very funny. If I knew when these things were going to happen, I could prepare for them, you know, padding, avoiding altogether. But tripping on air appears to be unforeseeable, at least for me. Of course, I'm blind as a bat.
C

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sheeeeit sister? do you need glasses? ernie wants to know if you need you need glasses?

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I need radar or maybe some glasses with x-ray vision. Maybe antennae.

Retro Blog said...

One of the safety things we get lectured on at work EVERY YEAR is how to fall safely. The thing is not to try to break your fall with your hands. It is better to try to put your arms in front of your face and turn slightly to right or left, try not to hit nose first. Saves wear and tear on glasses.

Yup being more careful these days.

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I actually landed on my left side more than anything. Left shoulder and elbow still not working at full capacity. I have fallen enough times that I am getting pretty good at landing on the less hurtful (?) areas. Not a fact to brag on though. I am very thankful I was not hurt much worse. No glasses and I could not have driven home, landing on right knee and I would probably be in the ER.
C

Retro Blog said...

When you are all healed up I need to know if any of the money we spent this year on the new roof and siding is tax deductible. So far I have reached the conclusion that it not. Thanks. R

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Sent you some info by e-mail.