Thursday, August 20, 2009

"My tits up went computer!"

Those are Richard's exact words, meaning, no computer stuff for him. No e-mail, no facebook, no Internet, etc. You get the picture. Until he either gets it fixed (7 years old) or replaced, every one gets to communicate the old fashioned way, YELL!!! Or phone home. Smoke signals anyone? This is what happened. He calls me from his cell phone, tells me to look up the lottery info, tells me I'm full of BS cuz his computer won't come on, then hangs up on me. Actually, the phone went dead cuz he didn't bother to recharge the darn thing. Still, he thinks I'm lying to him about the monitor not coming on, so when he gets home, still in a bad mood, he goes in and pushes all the buttons again, to find out that IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!

Richard says:
Now, on another note...your mother is back on oxygen again and down to 113 pounds. Don't know what or if she is eating, says she is but you never know. A piece of toast and coffee with meds for breakfast does not make for a good eating habit. I suspect that she doesn't fix much because "nothing sounds good" and she has no appetite. So here's a thought for everybody to contemplate... and I know Ma will fight tooth and nail against it, but I'm thinking sooner or later she will have to bite the bullet and get into an assisted living place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing the panic button, and I don't think anything has to be done right away. But I would appreciate every one's input on this or other options. Because if something happens, I will probably have to make a decision quickly and won't have time to call to ask for input or other options. I'd rather not talk to mom about this until I've heard from each of you. I know this is a delicate situation, and I really don't want mom pissed off with me, so let's see what we all can come up with before we mention anything to her. Well, this is what I've got on my mind and it just amazes me what goes through your mind when you are all screwed up on pain meds.

Later
RB

7 comments:

Uncle Spud & Aunt JoJo said...

What does her doctor say, or has she been to one lately? Sounds like she needs somebody looking after her.

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Call me.

Gale said...

It is inevitable that she ends up under supervised care and somehow she has to know this. It is good to have a plan and to involve her as well, it is afterall her life. I don't have any suggestions but I do reccommend that once a plan is decided on, an intervention of some sort might have to happen. Help mom realize that she is no longer a spring chicken. We can't just drop this in her lap. As for her getting mad at you or any of us, well that is inevitable as well.

Retro Blog said...

I am going to visit Mom and we will sit down and fill out an Advanced Directive spelling out exactly what kind of medical care she wishes, No CPR,No intubation etc. I will see that copies get made for those who wish to have a copy. She will be 83, I think we all thought she might last as long as Grandma Horn but she is half Riley's daughter and the male longevity of the Horns is somewhat below average. The Advance Directive will at least get a decision or two out of the way even if no one agrees with the particular decision.

Retro Blog said...

RE COMPUTER:

Get a new one, also get new peripherals with it, printer etc, the programs that run those are not always compatible on the new PC with the old peripherals.

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Thank you for stepping up and taking care of this. I know you deal with this sort of thing quite often. Ma and I talked about a living will and the subject of assisted living came up. She said she wasn't interested in assisted living, that she would rather be in the nursing home behind WK. So, some how or other, that needs to be incorporated. I would like to be included in the process so I know what's going on because I will probably be the one to get things done in a timely manner should something happen. So, I'll see you when you get here for your birthday. Maybe we can share a hunk of cake and some ice cream. Do you want a candle on it?
RB

Retro Blog said...

No candle please, it will be a short visit, I drive over the 3rd that evening, drive back the 8th, plenty of time to get into trouble.

Actually I googled the Advance Directive web site for Idaho as the form at CVH is for Oregon, natch.
The Idaho form is a bit better legally as it is rather extensive and is in fact a durable power of attorney, So I will go over it very carefully with her. R